Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Senator Brian reporting in from DC

Okay...well, not really. But I DID finally make it to DC!

I managed the Metro and everything!

Judith and I have had the BEST time today!

I left Kyrie's this morning, armed with a Metro map, my wallet and my laptop. (I mean, what else did I need? ;))

She was going to meet me downtown at the National Gallery of Art. Diana, I definitely recommend you coming down here and seeing this collection! It's unbelievable!

I really really enjoyed the Gilbert Stuart collection (he's the one who painted the famous portrait of George Washington) and their photography exhibit is amazing! They have a huge collection of Ansel Adams' work.

And I had to laugh, because you'll never guess what's on tour there right now. Landscapes by Sanford Gifford who was one of the Hudson River School. Apparently, they did romanticized paintings of the Hudson River Valley (and traveling West). I felt like I was right at home again! *grin*

After exhausting ourselves at the museum (it's huge!), we went over to the Willard Hotel for a high afternoon tea. That is SOME place. Apparently, it was the place to be in the 1800s. There were ten presidents who stayed there at one time or another, not to mention Charles Dickens, P.T. Barnum and Buffalo Bill. And they say that Mark Twain actually wrote two of his books there!

We had a great time telling stories back and forth. Judith is a grand person!

After we finished up talking (which was pretty late, I must admit), I got on to the Metro and headed out to meet Aleta who's got some plans for me for tomorrow (and whose computer I'm using now! *grin*).

So, she's warming up some coffee for me, so I'd better sign off. More later!